There are nearly 12 million cancer survivors in the US today. The Lance Armstrong Foundation recognized the positive presence of the Y in many communities and decided to pursue a partnership. Through this partnership, the YMCA of the Northwoods is able to provide safe, effective physical activity programs to cancer survivors in our community. We are committed to enhancing the quality of life for our friends, neighbors and family members who are cancer survivors. We want to help them take control of their health and focus on recovery.
A Fitness Program For Cancer Survivors
The LIVESTRONG at the Y Fitness Program is for adult cancer survivors who have become de-conditioned from recent cancer treatment. The 12-week program provides survivors the opportunity to rebuild strength and stamina under the guidance of a highly trained YMCA instructor. Using a combination of individual instruction and group activities, survivors can participate in resistance training, cardio and functional activities as well as flexibility exercises.
We are committed to helping all participants develop their own fitness program to continue healthy lifestyle habits, not only as part of recovery, but as a way of life.
Research shows that physical activity can decrease recurrence and increase survivorship in cancer patients. This program will empower cancer survivors to improve their quality of life through an organized program of fitness and strength.
- 12-week program.
- Meets twice a week for 75 minutes.
- Includes individually appropriate exercises to regain strength and stamina.
- Free to all participants.
Criteria For Participation
- Strong personal desire – participant needs to enroll in program.
- Personal commitment to attend all classes.
- Inform physician of their intent to join the program.
- Give permission for instructor to call physician or person giving treatment as necessary.
- Complete screening forms, physical assessment and answer health question.
This class is recommended for patients who have nearly or recently completed their cancer treatments. All potential participants will meet individually with a program director to determine eligibility.
To register for the LIVESTRONG program, call our Active Older Adult Coordinator or our Welcome Center at 715-362-9622.